The richly conceived yet intimately scaled Bach House (1915) adopts the vocabulary of the Prairie house, but looks toward future stylistic directions in Wright’s work. Described as “semi-cubist,” its compact plan is a modification of Wright’s “fireproof house,” which was published in 1907 in Ladies Home Journal.
This richly conceived yet intimately scaled residence was built in 1915 for Emil Bach, president of Chicago’s Bach Brick Co. A modification of Wright’s design for “A Fireproof House for $5000,” published in Ladies Home Journal in 1907, the Bach House was executed between Wright’s return from Europe in 1911 and his departure to Japan in 1916 to oversee construction of the Imperial Hotel. In contrast to the expansive, open Prairie houses Wright designed prior to his European sojourn, the Bach House is strongly centered and self-contained. While adopting the vocabulary of Wright’s Prairie house, the Bach House looks toward future stylistic directions in Wright’s work, in its contained geometry, efficient scale, and modern window designs.
Over the past fifty years, the Bach House has undergone multiple renovations by its various owners. Harboe Architects is completing an extensive restoration project to return the Bach House to its original design.
The Emil Bach House was designated a Chicago Landmark in 1977 and placed on the U.S. Register of Historic Places in 1979.
New tours and programs coming soon.