Emma Glasner Pettit Memorial Chapel

Date: 1906
Address: 1100 N. Main St., Belvidere, Illinois
City: Belvidere, Illinois
Accessibility: Private
Category: Religious

The Pettit Memorial Chapel is a small structure on the grounds of Belvidere Cemetery in Belvidere, Illinois. Emma Glasner Pettit, the sister of William A. Glasner, for whom Wright designed a home Glencoe in 1905, commissioned the chapel in honor of her deceased husband, William H. Pettit. The chapel consists of a long narrow porch and an adjoining, rectangular room for memorial services. Raised above ground level, the chapel is accessed via a staircase at the front of the porch, or a set of angled staircases that flank the meeting room at the rear of the porch. Just as he did in his residential designs, Wright included a centrally located fireplace with a broad chimney that emerges from a low-hipped roof.


< Previous | Next >

Back to The Buildings of Wright's Chicago Years

Share