Address: 636 North East Avenue
City: Oak Park, Illinois
President of the Martin and Martin Stove Polish Company in Chicago, and brother to Darwin Martin, it was William Martin’s search for a suitable suburban location to build a home, that sparked Wright’s relationship with the Martin family.
In his design for William Martin’s Oak Park home, Wright responded to the compact size of the lot by including a subterranean basement and building vertically. The three-story house is finished in stucco and wood and features continuous bands of corner windows. In 1909, Walter Burley Griffin landscaped the property, adding a distinctive covered pergola. The pergola has since been demolished.